Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 105: Zero in Hot Springs, NC

Miles today: 0.0
Miles total: 1912.0

Currently sitting in Elmer's Sunnybank Hostel...

Feeling sort of run-down after the last stretch of trail, I let myself sleep in this morning. I heard the drizzling rain outside already, and my mind wandered to the forecast for all-day rain. On the day I'm supposed to go across Max Patch, the first spot I ever walked on the trail in my whole life? Nope, I decided I was taking a zero. Danko felt the same way, so my resolve got even stronger. But what would we do all day? The lounge had been closed off as a private room. I could only assume we'd go insane. We decided to head on over to the other hostel in town, Elmer's. Once we got there, we knew we had made the right choice. Elmer has run this historic hostel for over 35 years. It's in a historic house, and it had everything we needed. A TV for movies, a library full of books, and comfy beds. We were all set. We settled in and read before going about our normal town business of eating and laying around some more. With most of our chores done from yesterday, all that was left was to recharge. Like most rest days, this one was helpful to let me reflect on how far I've come and too get me excited about the challenges up ahead.  Max Patch and the Smokies...then I'm home free! One last rest before the final two-week push seems like it was the perfect idea. I'm antsy to finish, but now I'm well-rested too. I would write more, but I really didn't do much today outside of eating. I also drank a beer from a brewery in nearby Asheville: Highland's oatmeal porter, an old favorite. I'm off early tomorrow and once again find myself scheming a higher-mileage alternate plan. Hmmm....

-Rooster

Picture: the quaint Sunnybank Inn.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rooster! Glad to read about your day! Kind of rainy here too. Glad you took a day off!
    What you did not reveal......how many miles dod you plan for Thursday? xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron,
    It's Grandma Ruby. Sorry I haven't commented lately, I haven't been feeling so good so I have to use my energy on me, right now.
    Stay Strong! I love your writings and your pictures. I can't believe you are almost done!
    Remarkable! Hope to see you soon!
    Love,
    GM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow?! Two weeks, not 2 months before I get to see you.
    Wondering how this adventure will change your life/in what way...
    Talked with your Mom last evening.
    Love you, Wiz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journey is coming to an end, yes still two weeks but that will be here before you know it.
    Rooster, you have conquered the mountain, the valleys, you conquered fears you might not ever realized you had and you have put up with weather from one extreme to another, you have excepted friends and family memebrs along the way and that couldn;t have always been easy but you persevered. You have approx. 288 miles to go. As you know I had planned to hike a day with you. But being so close to the end of your journey I feel that these last few miles are YOURS, your accomplishments, your trial and tributes to the trail, YOUR feat, which by all means was a great under taking. YOU took on this feat, you have had support but still YOU took the journey YOU took on the challenge YOU done the deed.
    Walk these last few miles alone, walk with the knowledge that people will be waiting for you at the finish line, know you will be walking with unseen people cheering and applauding you wonderous feat, walk for yourself for you start this on your own, you should finish this on your own. When you cross that final foot of the trail hold your head up high, crow at the top of your lungs and be the proud of you journey but humble in your prideof the deed.
    Just an early "Thank You" for taking me on this journey of a lifetime through your thoughts, your words and you pictures.
    As you enter and walk though the region of the Cherokee may the Cherokee spirit "Nûñnë'hï"-protector of the wanderers" help guide you home.
    Best wished my friend,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete

Type here to comment...