Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 11: Moxie Bald Mountain Lean-to to Caratunk

Miles today: 18.8
Miles total: 151.2

Currently sitting in my hot and sticky tent...

Today started off an hour late to recover from yesterday's long miles. I climbed Moxie Bald Mountain and before long the high humidity had me soaked in sweat. I got to the top and spent 20 minutes trying to figure out where the trail went next. I had to eat a twix to quell my frustration. I descended and stopped at a lean-to for a rest. Inside already were Fireball and Lost, a veteran who was badly injured and is now living with some kind of machine inside of him. A cameraman is following him on his thru-hike attempt.

Next I climbed Pleasant Pond Mountain, which slowly gained altitude but seemed much harder. I came to the lean-to on the other side of the mountain and met four people, one of whom was Lost's cameraman, Bill. Bill taught me about edible plants in the woods, like Indian Cucumber, strawberries, raspberries, and white pine needles for tea. He also told me the next 6 miles to Caratunk were very easy. I wanted to use fresh legs while I had them, so I headed out. The miles were indeed easy, but my shin started acting up again, whining about another long day. I understood, but I was also happy to find more trail magic at the trailhead, in the form of cans of beer and some lemonade. Awww yeah. Tomorrow I have to wait until 9 to move out because that's when the Kennebec Ferry begins operation. The Kennebec River is too deep to ford so the official AT route is via canoe. It's starting to rain, so I'm going to batten down the hatches. Until tomorrow!

-Rooster

1 comment:

  1. Love you Rooster! Enjoying reading your journal adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Type here to comment...